Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Is the record industry turning to Trojan horse programs to copy-protect CDs?

From: Juraj Ziegler <e () hq sk>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:42:32 +0200

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 03:27:35PM -0400, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:
I guess my point is, if you want to rip CD's, don't agree [via EULA] not
to do it in the first place.  If you truly believe that ripping CDs and
putting them on a P2P network is ethical (as many do), then you violate
your own ethics by agreeing not to and then doing it...so just do it,
without agreeing to a contract.

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't see the implication between ripping CDs
and sharing the resulting mp3s on P2P networks. Over here, in good old
Europe, one has the right to create a backup copy of a CD (or any other
media) for personal use. The law does not specify the format of this
copy => I can make mp3s as a backup copy of my CD and carry them around
on my laptop. For personal use, that is :)

[e]

--
e () hq sk<                                                          >136509646<