Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: JAP Wins Court Victory

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:10:48 -0400

Privacy is an important adjunct to security, IMHO. Perhaps the JAP folks
did not handle their police issues as well as they should have. However
let us not abandon them or the project yet, unless we can find more
compelling and better solutions to the problem of the powers that be
improperly intruding onto the use of the online community.

Terrorists would not make bombs if they were satisfied with their condition.
I suspect that JAP and other privacy services would not have been widely
deployed if there were not the threat of snooping and privacy invasion.
I vote that we stay focused on the problem, and not bash the solution (well
not *too* much at least).

You're right, of course -- but I can't help but feel that a weak or
untrustworthy anonymizer/encryption algo is worse than none at all.  I
didn't mean to rag on the JAP guys, they were put in a very awkward
position and I don't know how well I'd have done in their place.

All personal issues aside though, a tool in this industry which can't be
trusted is worthless.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html