Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AT&T early warning system

From: "jkm" <jkmanowar9 () fastmail fm>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:02:18 -0800

On 18 Oct 2003 12:27:23 -0400, "Hoho" <hoho () tacomeat net> said:
On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 22:44, jkm wrote:
Quote 2:
"AT&T saw anomalies in its network three to four weeks before that worm
hit and was able to take certain precautions. "When the worm actually
happened, AT&T's network did not take a hit,'' Eslambolchi said."

Doesn't it seem like they're trying to violate causality? If the worm
doesn't exist yet, then its associated traffic doesn't exist yet, hence
there's nothing to detect. Wonder what those 'anomalies' were. Seems no
more effective than just watching MS security patches and reading FD.
--

Yeah, I agree unless as other threads are saying, the worm author
releases a test worm. I wonder if it would in fact catch script kiddies

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Consolidate POP email and Hotmail in one place

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html