Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AT&T early warning system

From: Jay Sulzberger <jays () panix com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:28:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, jkm wrote:

The related link: http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0929att.html

Quote 1:
"With Internet Protect, AT&T will use internally developed traffic
analysis tools to look for anomalies such as traffic spikes, traffic
drop-offs and unusual protocols in use."

Quote 2:
"AT&T saw anomalies in its network three to four weeks before that worm
hit and was able to take certain precautions. "When the worm actually
happened, AT&T's network did not take a hit,'' Eslambolchi said."

Does anybody know or has worked with this Internet Protect, AT&T is now
pushing as the next big thing. And I question whether quote 2 happened
exactly as Eslambolchi said.
For the network gurus, will traffic analysis prevent all or most attacks
be it worms or otherwise? My current view is that it is not a catchall
and the traffic anaylsis might also be used by AT&T for other stuff like
what Verisign did recently to sell more products or such. What do u
think?

--
  jkm
  jkmanowar9 () fastmail fm

I am glad that a telephone company is working to bring the InterWeb under
the same sort of statistical oversight as the telphone net was under circa
1950.

Even the crudest of old fashioned traffic analysis, and the most elementary
precautions against massive channeled scabland packet flows would have
stopped most of the recent worm annoyances.

oo--JS.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html