Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Sidewinder G2

From: "Perrymon, Josh L." <PerrymonJ () bek com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:52:29 -0600

So the pix allows the 7 command in RFC 821 section 4.5.1--
DATA
HELO
MAIL
NOOP
QUIT
RCPT
RSET

If a remote client sends ESMTP it converts it to a NOOP command and sends it
to the firewall...
And it also analyses the data payload and if it finds an invalid request it
will remove the command
or send a NOOP to the server.

The PIX will respond with xxxx's in the SMTP version if you do a telnet...

So it's a packet filter with application inspection...  right..??