Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Serious flaws in bluetooth security lead to disclosure of personal data

From: Pentest Security Advisories <alerts () pentest co uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:51:18 +0000

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 12:40:01PM +0000, Adam Laurie wrote:

<snip>

i think "hint" is the operative word here. i came away from defcon
unaware that such an attack was possible, and, to date, i am still
unable to find any papers or tools that do anything other than brute
forcing of macs or show that it's possible to browse services from a
brute forced mac (and just to be clear here - this does not mean browse
files. it just means you can obtain a list of services such as fax, obex
etc., not do anything with them). my co-author, ben, is a fellow shmoo,
and he was equally unaware, and their sniffer tool gives no hint that it
can be taken any further, nor does bruce's presentation
(http://www.shmoo.com/~gdead/dc-11-brucepotter.ppt), although it's
possible his actual talk did, but that is not yet available on the
defcon site. since posting, marcel holtmann has brought his papers to my
attention, but i have not yet seen an english translation, so i can't
comment. your own tool "btscanner"
(http://www.pentest.co.uk/cgi-bin/viewcat.cgi?cat=downloads)
makes no mention of this attack, and the only reference to any file
transfer mechanism is "obex", which is is in the "To do" section of the
README: "3) Try to connect to services, particularly OBEX which requires
no pair.".

You are correct neither bluesniff or btscanner attempt to tranfer files
over OBEX at the moment, but they do identify bluetooth devices running
OBEX services. Once you have identified the device you can use tools such
as "obexftp-0.10.4" for Linux or "obexapp" on FreeBSD to GET or PUT files
over Bluetooth to a vulnerable device.

in the meantime, my discussions with manufacturers indicate that so far
they have only been made aware of theoretical attacks, and nobody has
thus far been able to actually pull data from the targets. this attack
changes that.

Get them to have a look at http://www.oook.cz/bsd/bluetooth.html

Cheers,
Mark.