Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SPAM and "undisclosed recipients"

From: Kristian Hermansen <khermansen () ht-technology com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:04:13 -0500

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 12:22, Jason DiCioccio wrote:
Kristian,
  What you are seeing is that you were BCC'd on the message.  In the
process of an email transaction there are multiple times at which
recipients are specified.  There is one at the sender's mailserver, where
he specifies every recipient that is going to receive his message.  He does
this in the form of 'MAIL TO: <email@address>' and repeats it until all of
the recipients have been listed.  The mail server then takes that
information and connects to all the mail servers it must connect to in
order to deliver the message to all of the recipients that the sender
specified.  Now, as for what you see in your mail client:  That is the To:
and CC: headers.  They are specified in the actual message data and are
independent of the recipient information that the sender sends to his mail
server.  So, the definition of a BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) really is just a
recipient that does not get listed in the message header.  Instead, it is
only sent to the mail server as part of the MAIL TO: command sequences.
The most information you will likely be able to retrieve about who received
the message is from your Received: headers.  You should be able to tell
from there (depending on the mail server) which alias or address the sender
actually specified when he attempted to send the message.  This can be
handy if you have multiple aliases and are wondering which one the spam is
getting to.

Hope this helped.

Regards,
-JD-

--On Saturday, November 15, 2003 11:10 AM -0500 Kristian Hermansen