Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SSH Exploit Request

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:12:42 -0600 (CST)

        [SNIP]

But...  He may work for an organization that

a) makes him responsible for function, and isolated from policy influence
(possibly broken).

b) in which his manager is politically isolated (broken).

c) is subject to a DITSCAP-style regime of testing and documentation processes
- - not broken!

In any case - it is unhelpful an peevishly arrogant to spit out "change your
process."  O.K.  That may be happening over time.  What can I do /now/?

Not pointing out the obvious - gobbles exploit code - leads to this kind of
meta-thread, which has been the cause of so much grievance to some.

A simple reply about the exploit and currency would have been entirely on
topic for the list!

And of course the gobbles code is old and most likely does not fit the
bill for the current need to patch, as was the starting point for the
fairly recently secure programming threads.  There might not be current
sploit code to cover the potential risk his version of openssh/openssl is
requiring a patch/fix.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html