Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: WinME firewalling

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:46:29 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com
[mailto:full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of
Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 10:39 PM
To: morning_wood
Cc: j; full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] WinME firewalling

I just didn't want anybody leaving the impression that it was
possible to firewall off a Microsoft box and be safe....

Hopefully, you're not referring to my post.  I *did* state that she
should patch and keep her AV software up to date as well.  But trust me,
those little $50 SOHO routers work *quite well* at walling of a Windows
box from the Internet.  We have several here that are protecting
expensive scientific test equipment that is controlled by a Windows
computer that cannot be patched per vendor and/or FDC requirements.  And
not a one has ever had a problem of any kind.

Of course they are *not* used for surfing the web or checking email,
which is why I pointed out that she needs to keep her AV software up to
date and patch her box regularly as well.

In case you're not aware of it, those little routers include a firewall,
IDS (which can be configured to email alerts to him instead of granny),
DHCP, NAT and MAC ACL restrictions.  The boxes behind those are on
private IP space and there are no open incoming ports.  You can lock
down a box pretty good behind one of them.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member