Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: WinME firewalling

From: adam morley <adam-fulldisclosure () gmi com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:43:41 -0800

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 08:03:30PM -0500, j wrote:
I'm interested in opinions from list participants - all my work is with
linux, like a firewalling linux bridge on a win/lin mixed network.

Given:  A technologically-impaired grandmother with winME.  Any change
of OS would be psychologically damaging... (WinXP 'kindergarten crayon'
default theme would probably induce seizures... ;^)  Grandma now gets a
DSL connection, and as per the ISP has this shiny new DSL modem plugged
into said WinME machine, both now powered up ~24 hours per day, an open
orifice with a target painted on it.

What software firewall solution is truly suitable for Grandma?  As
invisible to the user as possible, of course, since this Grandma doesn't
understand most of the 'little window thingies' that spontaneously
appear already.  (you know at least one - the manic 'ok' clicker...)
Additional hardware of any kind is not permitted, this has to be a
software solution under WinME.

Why no additional hardware?  Is the DSL modem a USB modem or something?  When you said no additonal hardware, it
immediately reminded me of this:

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS8505038381.html

just because when I saw it I thought it was real neat, and I'd had the same idea for little VPN widgets for mobile
officer workers.

That said, I ran Zone Alarm for someone and they liked it, but it had popups when certain apps tried to connect to the
network which they really didn't like.  I too have trouble recommending software firewalls for Windows, but I'd look at
the following articles at PC magazine, because PC magazine is synonymous with Windows for me:

One of the software ones in those articles must run on ME (hopefully)

--
adam

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html