Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: WinME firewalling

From: igenge2 () csc com au
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:31:26 +0800

What software firewall solution is truly suitable for Grandma?  As
invisible to the user as possible, of course, since this Grandma doesn't
understand most of the 'little window thingies' that spontaneously
appear already.  (you know at least one - the manic 'ok' clicker...)
Additional hardware of any kind is not permitted, this has to be a
software solution under WinME.

I had a similar requirement for technologically challenged friends.
Basically I turned off File and Printer Sharing for all network adapters
to close the standard holes and installed Kerio Personal Firewall.  I
configured Kerio to allow connections from their browser and mail client
and allowed outbound DNS and blocked all else inbound and outbound.  I
then set Kerio to disable prompting (I don't have the manual with me so I
can't remember the exact terminology Kerio use).

So far I haven't had any calls from them saying things don't work and
they've been running like this for over a year.  Of course it has helped
that I also set them up to use a non-virus-enabled browser and mail
client.

IG

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html