Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus Software Solutions?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:50:48 -0600

--On Saturday, November 29, 2003 10:12 AM -0500 "Marc Chabot (.net)" <marc () chabot net> wrote:

I had a bad opinion of mc-a-fee before, but if you say it's highly
effective against NONE viruses, I believe you.  :-D

That's just the modern spelling of known.  :-)

I'm looking for anybody who had something negative to say about the
lastest version of NOD32 (for windoze boxes) available since this
summer.  Any comment about it?

If you are serious about knowing which a/v products are "best" (for some definition of best that is meaningful for you), you need to look at the real researchers, not the pc mags, which are all about touchy feely and not about performance and not the vendors, who are obviously biased.

<http://www.av-test.org/>
<http://www.uta.fi/laitokset/virus/>
<http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc/naveng.htm>
<http://www.virusbtn.com/>

NOD 32 scored very well in the most recent tests at the University of Tampere. Unfortunately, not all researchers test NOD 32, so you have less data to rely on than other scanners.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member