Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Antivirus Software Solutions?

From: "Anthony Aykut" <anthony.aykut () frame4 com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:51:56 +0100

Well put Paul - though it is alarming to see that this starting to happen
more and more as people are advised, really *advised*, to follow this
avenue, and suffer the consequences. I think to a certain extent until the
"architecture of computing" and/or computers as we know changes somewhat,
this is the *only* way to be close to being "almost secure".

Anthony Aykut
Frame4 Security Systems
Your Partner in IT Security
http://www.frame4.com/
Tel/Fax : +31(0)172-515901
Mobile  : +31(0)651-491507

Once your email gateway is "safe", any AV on desktops becomes much less
important, but you may still want some "traditional" AV on your desktops;
any reasonably well supported product should do.

This is horrible advice.  You *must* have traditional a/v on your desktops
or some equivalent replacement.  The desktop is you last line of defense
and often the only one that will "catch" things.  Gateway a/v scanners such
as trend will do *nothing* to protect you against worms such as Blaster and
Slammer.  There are just too many avenues for attack to leave the desktops
unprotected; removeable media (CDs, floppies, DVDs, Zip disks), IRC, ICQ,
P2P, IM, web, etc., etc.

Furthermore, you don't want just "any reasonable well supported product".
You want a product that is highly effective against none viruses.  Some
that fall in to that category are Sophos, McAfee, Kaspersky and Norton.

Foregoing the use of top notch protection on the desktops is a recipe for
disaster.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html