Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re(2): Windows Messenger Popup Spam on UDP Port 1026

From: John Andersen <jsa () pen homeip net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:30:02 -0800

On Monday 23 June 2003 10:33, Christian Friedl wrote:
What I don't get is, why don't ISPs exploit the fact to make profit? Why
not sell different customized accounts, one for "dummy and his grandma",
with everything closed except 80, 25, 110; and one for ye olde nerde, with
a customizable firewall hosted at the ISP?

Some do.

My ISP has two vlans on the cable modem system.
One with no peer-to-peer traffic at all, and the other has
no filtering.  You have to ask to be on the non-filtered vlan.

It cost them nothing to offer the no-peer-to-peer (and in fact
saves them tons of tech support time) so they charge nothing
more for this.

Non-peer-to-peer can send/recieve traffic to/from the
non-filtered vlan, so local web sites can be reached.

--
John Andersen