Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AW: Windows Messenger Popup Spam on UDP Port 10 26

From: Nils Ketelsen <nils.ketelsen () kuehne-nagel com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:01:51 +0200

At 11:16 23.06.2003 +0200, vogt () hansenet com wrote:

> A professional ISP does not block any port. Blocking ports
> can only be done on the customer side. The ISP does not know
> which port i might need.

This isn't about you. The ISP also has a responsibility to protect
the internet at large. If millions of spam are sent each day because
the average user is too stupid to close off his proxy, then the
ISP can either shut him down, or block the proxy port. Obviously,
shutting down isn't an option for business reasons.

In this case I would request all ISPs to block port 25. Millions of spams are sent via this port each day.

Nils
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html