Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [OFFTOPIC] Zone Alarm

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 17:09:16 -0400

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 10:17:57 CDT, "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>  said:
I wasn't going to respond to that because it was so patently obvious,
but since you did, I'll append this note - I have flashed my DSL router
three times since I bought it.  I've had it for about a year.  (It's not
a LinkSys or a NetGear router.  It's an SMC Barricade.)

In case anyone hasn't noticed, you have to patch some systems almost
daily - RedHat, for example, Windows obviously, etc., etc.

On the flip side, let's compare apples to apples, shall we?  Unless your
DSL Router also has Gnome and OpenOffice and 693 other .rpms installed,
the RedHat is getting patched more because there's more stuff.

How about comparing how often you have to update your DSL router with how
often you have to update the corresponding code on a RedHat box (say,
the networking parts of the kernel, iptables/iproute, maybe iputils and
parts of initscripts)?