Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: 27 Jul 2003 10:42:04 -0500

On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 01:30, Ron DuFresne wrote:

You can't firewall 135 inside your network or you'd have no network.

but, you can at the outgouing gateway, as well as log the events there to
help in locating inside infections.  Slammer and some of the other recent
worms giving a good headsup to folks that filtering is indeed not a one
way proposition.

ingress as well as egress filtering has been something strongly advocated
for quite sometime.

If an internal network gets so infected that it;s clogging the outgooing
gateway chokepoint, then it's time to take that network 'offline' from the
rest of the internet and cleanup.  Unless the company line on this is open
all ports and let the rest of the world fend for themselves while we try
and cleanup this mess, which was the decision on a number of places during
recent worm exploits and not limited to slammer.

How does *any* of what you've said lessen the pain of having to clean up
the mess created by these worms.  We block 135 in both directions, but
that doesn't stop the worm from forcing us to play whack a mole again,
on the inside.  Even using SMS, SUS and login scripts to distribute
patches *and* an aggressive educational program doesn't guarantee 100%
coverage of patches.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer