Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)

From: "gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 13:09:05 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Paget
To: Len Rose
Cc: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 12:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)

Len,

IMHO there's a difference between "security through obscurity" and posting
working exploit code.  Knowing that there is a vulnerability in DCOM, accessible
over a range of RPC mechanisms (primarily 135/tcp) is all that most
administrators need to know.  It's one thing knowing that you can kill a person
with a gun, and it's another to give away firearms.

Just my $0.02:

Shoot the messenger - that always stops the bad event happening.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I can never see the point in "If we don't tell the enemy how to build a nuclear weapon they
never will so we are safer as a result" logic.

Greg - you may call me a "Jihad O'Clue." if you wish.