Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 11:38:20 -0400

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:41:22 PDT, Nathan Seven said:

Running MSSQL server on my laptop that I also use to
VPN in is IMO a pretty fucking corner-case...

On the other hand, if you're a big financial company with 50K warm bodies on
the payroll, there's a good chance you have 1 or 2 developers that often VPN
in, and who have installed MSSQL so they can test&develop locally rather than
against a remote database.  And it only takes 1.....

It may be a corner case, but based on the number of sites that got nailed by
Slammer even though they had a firewall, it's a pretty common corner case....