Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:03:25 -0400

Paul Schmehl wrote:
[snip]
It takes a lot more work than that.  What do you do about the machines
that *do* need DCOM?  Ever notice there are students learning
programming at a university?  It's not like a corporation where you can
shove changes down people's throats without planning carefully first.

True, a university is not a corporation and has different requirements all together. This does not mean that just because students are learning to program the university is absolved of teaching the student to program securely. A reasonable start here might be a computer secured to industry best practices.

** Being a university it is the responsibility of the institution to teach your students the right way and to help them understand why. **

Are there policies governing the use of computers on campus networks?

You can shove it down their throats, and you can enforce it. This is not easy and it is not trivial but it is your responsibility as a professional. As I stated in a previous mail, there is a big difference between enabling capabilities needed to achieve a goal and leaving everything turned on because it might be needed later.

This is my position.

** It has to start somewhere, get on the train and help out instead of complaining that it cannot be done. **

You keep trying to trivialize the difficult.  And you make the false
assumption that I'm complaining about my *own* problems, when in fact
that's not the case at all.  I'm arguing on behalf of all the people you
so cavalierly denigrate.

No, I take issue with you presenting and defending the same excuses we hear over and over everywhere. I can't do it, it is too hard, I don't have time, there is no known exploit...

Yes, it is hard. I know this, you know this, we all know this.

Now step up to the plate and contribute to the solution instead of allowing the problem to continue. It has been shown several times and ways on this list and others by myself and others that the problem would be a lot less severe if we stopped complaining about how difficult it is and started to do it.

Here is a suggestion that is pretty easy to implement to start this effort off. Put the references provided by this list into a few new sections at

http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/internetsecurity/index.htm
or if you prefer
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/tcs/techsupp/security.html

They might be

* Best practices for securing windows.
* Tools to help with securing windows.
* Sites to learn more about making windows secure.

If the "Unis" do all this work for free ( hardly, my taxes pay for it ) and play such a huge role then maybe they could do a little research as a team and make it "Easy" to run windows.

Your taxes pay for the universities to do their work, but that work is
provided to the world for free.  Don't trivialize that.

[snip - a bunch of trivialize this trivialize that]

I trivialize the belief that the problem is insurmountable and that not publishing exploits somehow makes the problem go away. This is what my original post was about.

Attempting to put words into my mails and twist my statements to support your position will not work.

If I did that, you'd have a legitimate complaint.  I haven't.

Oh, I get it.  You've never actually used an IDS.  You just understand
the dictionary definition of one.  Try sitting in front of the console
staring at a half a million alerts and see if the IDS *does* anything
besides spewing information that *you* have to research, that *you* have to interpret and that *you* have to take action on.

All this reminds me of a quote. I cannot recall the orgin unfortunately.

"never argue with idiots, they will drag you down and beat you with experience"

Indeed.  Your post proved you know nothing about IDSes, so when I
pointed that out, you retreat to quotes and smug replies.  I can't say
that I'm surprised.

One approach, there are many mind you, might be to identify the RPC call in question and then look for the existence of one of the valid return addresses within the payload. Do I have to provide that too?

Read your posts and show me how you have once contributed something of value to the issue. All I have seen is flawed opinion and a weak defense of a flawed position. I am asking you and all that think like you to contribute to the solution with something productive or sit back and read the list so others can.

Before responding why not go reverse the vulnerability and write an effective signature for it? Then post that to the list and we will all have something useful to work with.

[snip - the mondays]

If you had a clue, you wouldn't post what you posted.

Again I ask you to read your posts on this matter and tell me what clue you have presented us.

Is this one?

"Ron, you are just as clueless as you were when Slammer hit."

Way to add value there, Bravo!

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html