Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:33:56 +1200

Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:

<<snip>>
It takes a lot more work than that.  What do you do about the machines
that *do* need DCOM?  Ever notice there are students learning
programming at a university?  It's not like a corporation where you can
shove changes down people's throats without planning carefully first.

Well, I don't know why anybody ever let most of that MS networking
stuff run over TCP/IP in the first place.  True, preventing NT-based
OSes from binding RPC and other less-desirable stuff to every available
interface is not easy, but it is getting more do-able.  In case you
haven't looked yet:

   Minimizing Windows network services

   Jean-Baptiste Marchand

   http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/breves/min_srv_res_win.en.html.en

Now, so long as you didn't scrimp on network infrastructure and build
important parts around cheap, TCP/IP-only routers, take that
information and start thinking "what if we put Windows RPC services on
IPX/SPX?".  Still doesn't help you prevent the morons who are allowed
to install/config their own boxes from "getting it wrong" but gives
that part of the network that does accept your guidance a fair degree
of "free" protection while leaving DCOM RPC avalable to those that
really do "need" it.

You have consistently stated that all that needs to be done is "the
work".  The implication is that there's nothing to it.  It can be easily
done if folks would just get to work.  That implication is false and
trivializes the amount of work that has to be done.  That is what I'm
objecting to.

I'd also object most strongly that MS still sees fit to decide a priori
that a _very little used_ service "should be" installed and enabled and
bound to every firking network interface on every box its OS is
installed upon.  We kept hearing that "least privilege" and "service
minimization" were the key drivers behind the Windows Server 2003
security review -- we now know that the drivers were DWI...

But it gets worse.  Instead of being off by default and requiring a
degree of nouse be applied in the very rare cases where those services
really are needed, we have something that requires intimate familiarity
with your hardware and arcane registry tweaking procedures to remove to
make your machine "well-enough secured".  (And what's the bet that the
interface-by-interface binding of RPC services described in Marchand's
paper can (silently) "break" if you add, remove or reconfigure network
adaptors in the machine??)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.