Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 00:24:15 +0200

Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
..snip...
Are you really willing to demand your "freedom" in the face of the
overwhelming odds that leaving those ports open will do more harm than
good?

I am willing to demand my freedom.
When I pay to an ISP for internet, I want to have all ports in/out working.
If I don't want something working, I filter it at *my* firewall.

When code red/nimbda hit some time ago on port 80, nobody suggested blocking port 80 for those II$, right? But when a worm hits on less popular port, people start attacking the symptoms, not the cause. Am I missing something?

Georgi Guninski
http://www.guninski.com

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html