Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

From: Helmut Springer <delta () FaVeVe Uni-Stuttgart de>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:29:46 +0100

On 09 Feb 2003 at 20:36 +0100, Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
All this is well and good, but I have a really hard time
understanding why we need to route insecure networking protocols
such as NetBIOS, CIFS, NFS or NIS across the Internet.  Just
closing those ports would do a world of good for the Internet as a
whole, and who in the world would it hurt?

It is not the part of the phone company to decide what topics can be
discussed in a phone call.  Neither is it the part of ISP to decide
what traffic their customers are able to transmit.

If the Internet is going to survive in any viable fashion, we have
to come to our senses when it comes to allowable services.

Internet is the ability to send ip packets from one node to another.

The uncontrolled access to networking services on home computers
and poorly secured commercial networks is the root cause behind a
lot of the problems that exist on the Internet today - worms,
virus, trojans, etc.  Ports 139 and 445, *at a minimum*, should be
closed (to the outside) on every network in the world.

At is not your part to decide if my system at home is secure or not.

Are you really willing to demand your "freedom" in the face of the
overwhelming odds that leaving those ports open will do more harm
than good?

Of course.  Otherwise shut down all telephone lines immediately,
there are overwhelming odds planned, organized and conducted over
those.

--
MfG/Best regards,                   "A Feature you cannot disable is
helmut springer                      considered a bug"  comp.os.unix