Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SQL Slammer - lessons learned

From: Niels Bakker <niels=netsys () bakker net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:38:56 +0100

* John.Airey () rnib org uk [Fri 07 Feb 2003, 11:46 CET]:
[..]
Which brings me full circle back to stateful inspection. I can see no
business reason why any organisation would need the outside world to
initiate sessions to ports other than allowed privileged ports. (I leave the
definition of allowed privileged ports undefined as it is an issue between
the ISP and its customers. One or two people have digressed onto this issue)

The concept of UDP having a session worth speaking of that firewalls can
use to distinguish packets belonging to a conversation from packets not
belonging to one is so deeply flawed I won't even get into it.

I'm not sure why this issue keeps getting rehashed.  It's been well
established that a policy of denying all that isn't needed is prudent.
Also, it's been established that it's not up to connectivity providers
to force their ideas of proper filters on everyone.

-
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,

Please use a real signature separator; software can then automatically
recognise signatures and skip them when quoting, for example.  Also, I'd
appreciate it if you would upgrade to a real mail user agent that
generated proper In-Reply-To: and References: headers so threading would
work for those who prefer to use it, e.g. me.

I also won't get started on your stupid legal disclaimer - whose only
value is to pinpoint your company's legal team as a bunch of knuckle-
dragging morons.  (So thanks for the heads-up in showing who you hang
out with; it's a valuable aid in determining one's worth.)

Have a Nice Day,

        -- Niels.

--
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.