Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Authorities eye MSBlaster suspect

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:12:06 -0500

--On Friday, August 29, 2003 3:43 PM -0700 Anthony Saffer <anthony () safferconsulting com> wrote:

Sorry for just jumping in here but I couldn't resist. Certainly, you have
to admit that there is a such thing as shared responsibility and
contributory negligence. Even the law recognizes these things. Sure, it's
the coders fault for creating and releasing the worm but the
administrators do bear SOME responsibility for not being proactive and
patching their systems. There have been cases of patches being available
for 6 months to a year and a worm coming along and cleaning house. How
can anyone say that the admin isn't partially responsible?

Absolutely the admins are at least partly responsible for the damage caused to their own systems (and I would argue the greater the time since a patch was released the more responsibility they bear) and for damage they cause to other systems. But for the worm itself? Absolutely not.

Sure, in a
perfect world, we wouldn't have to worry about patching our systems and
all would be well. But we don't live in a perfect world and every
computer admin should know how to patch his system. If he/she doesn't
then they shouldn't have their job. There is, after all, a such thing as
preventative action.

In a perfect world, admins would get to implement the practices they know to be best for their organization. We don't live in a perfect world. Oftentimes admins' hands are tied by the decision makers who control the purse strings.

We still have infected hosts in the student apartments. Would you blame the admins for that? By law they are not allowed to support the students' personal computers. The best they can do is deny them network access until they're fixed. So the damage is limited to our network and doesn't go out to the world. Yet you would have them fired for incompetence. The admins know exactly what to do to protect a system. In this case they aren't allowed to do it.

Yet, if the worm writer hadn't released the worm, the problem wouldn't even exist, would it?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member