Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Authorities eye MSBlaster suspect

From: Mike Tancsa <mike () sentex net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:47:56 -0400

At 10:23 AM 29/08/2003 -0500, Charles Ballowe wrote:
Interesting -- the net cost of the worm is actually a net $0.00. For every
penny that a company chalks up as a cost to the worm, some other company
must be chalking up the cost as a profit from the worm.

I seriously doubt that. The amount of time / money this is taking to clean up does not translate into extra dollars. Most of our customers just call us for help and we dont get to charge them extra for telling them what web pages to go to do download patches / fixes.... Nor is someone going to get money for the fact that our help desk is just flooded with questions. Similarly the companies taken out by this worm (e.g. Air Canada) just pile more work on their internal help desks having to clean up the mess. Some 'pay as you go' consultants will be busier than normal, but internal IT departments will just be doing more work.

---Mike
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html