Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: JAP back doored

From: felix.roennebeck () gaussvip com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:47:03 +0200

Azerail wrote:

Why is the state of Germany trojanizing applications which may be run by
anyone on the planet?
because this application was used to commit a bad crime - child pornography.

And what's next?  Kazaa? IRC? (lord knows IRC can be used to
facilitate crime)
These services are monitored since years.

A "bad" crime is simply a way to introduce the idea
to the general populance with a crime that elicts support, and then
gradually, it's used to encompass other crimes.
Yes every tool can be mis-used in one or another direction. In my eyes fighting child pornography justifies the step to observe a connection.

Personally, I don't
like the idea of a anon proxy service rolling over and not informing
users, regardless of the crime "some" users may have been committing.

I totally aggree with you that the users should have been informed - even if it perverts the idea of observation. It is absolutely not ok to pretend anonymity and not providing it. But Drew was arguing against the german government and I still think it was correct what they did: They heard about a crime and tried to prosecute it.

Azerail

/Felix