Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: remote kernel exploits?

From: nectar () FreeBSD org (Jacques A. Vidrine)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:46:27 -0500

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 06:40:59PM +0300, Yonatan Bokovza wrote:
It might be the case that this is the problem:
http://www.openbsd.org/errata.html#scarg
I know that a similar problem was fixed in FreeBSD a little
later, but I can't find the correct pointer.

I believe the `similar problem' to which you refer is described here:
<URL:ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-02:38.signed-error.asc>

Since this is a problem in the kernel, it might be remotely
exploitable.

These are problems in the handling of arguments to certain system
calls.  So no, they are not remotely exploitable by themselves.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar () celabo org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos