Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: remote kernel exploits?

From: gml () phrick net (gml)
Date: 13 Sep 2002 18:36:58 -0500

Oh i never said anything about "lo-tech/no-tech" and I wasn't referring
to social engineering.  My emphasis was on the "buffer overflow" we tend
to not look farther than trying to find flaws in software. I think I was
aiming myself mainly at the security companies who lurk on mailing lists
trying to find their next big score. There seems to be a big emphasis on
"what will the next bug be and who can find it first" and not just on
this list i mean everywhere and of course the media loves that.  I'm
also not saying this is a bad thing I enjoy a overflow as much as the
next guy, I'm just not bent on it.  Lately I am seeing a rise in
interest in worms and other autonomous agents I think that's good, too
bad this sort of research tends to be held close by the anti-virus
companies.  Of course I understand the approach of locate and fix, i
mean i'm a big believer in opensource and this is one of the reasons.
The fact that the source code is available for auditing/tweaking is
wonderful.