Full Disclosure mailing list archives

remote kernel exploits?

From: Azerail <Azerail () supersecretninjaskills com> (Azerail)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 05:25:22 -0700

My thoughts in-line...

On Sun, 08 Sep 2002, andy_mn () hushmail com wrote:

- - I have not seen any incident reports on Incidents, or any other
mailing list for that matter.

If it's a private exploit, in the hands of one or two people, there
may be a vested interest in not reporting it.

- - You'd think several high profile sites would've been attacked already
with such devastating exploits, but I've seen no reports of this. In
fact, if the kids really did have such an exploit, you'd think they'd
tag their h4ndl3z all over high profile sites. But according to Alldas,
high profile defacements have been virtually nonexistent in the last
year or so.

Not if they are being sneaky and lying low.  A wise decision given
today's political climate.

- - Given the skill required to craft such an exploit, I'd think it
would be way out of the grasp of the kids. Since no researcher has
come forth with such a vulnerability, it's logical to conclude that
this does not exist.

Not everyone who crafts an exploit is neccessarly a researcher or a
kid.

Anyway, just my thoughts, no basis whatsoever, just based on the
availible information.

Azerail