IDS mailing list archives

Re: ROI on IDS/IPS products

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 19:05:50 -0800

Ravi Chunduru wrote:
Nice post.

How does one find out misconfgured Firewalls and NAT boxes using IPS?

Any box that has an unobstructed view of the contents of a network
segment or segements is potentially a great audit tool. Used properly,
the sniffers perspective can tell you a hell of a lot about how you or
your users have have misconfiguration their devices, are not applying
policy internally where they should be, are leaking routes into your igp
for supposedly airwalled  or natted networks, etc. Of course it requires
some treasure hunting in your logs, and there are people who will sell
you still more appliances (nac boxes for example) that can tease out the
same information.

Ravi