IDS mailing list archives

Re: ROI on IDS/IPS products

From: "Webmaster 003" <webmaster () networkdefense biz>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:01:29 -0500

I think the easiest way would be to buy a device with a consulting company doing the backend stuff. Then the "user" can stay fat and happy, with a set monthly cost. This is going to be far more expensive than learning how to actually configure, update and monitor their own box. This might well be an area where a niche consultancy could make something. Lazy users are not an endangered species. In my experience, most people want security devices and software that work like refrigerators, which is to say, every 15 years or so, you have to get something fixed or adjusted, or you have to upgrade the size (more beer and sprouts). Since refrigerators are so simple, the main choice users make is "does it match my decor." I have had very good experience with respectable software firewalls on my windows boxes, and Snort, running to let me know what sort of silly traffic actually gets through. My high-risk users have been migrated to Linux boxes, and the number of alerts in the network are way, way down. IPS/IDS is not a magic bullet. Changing user behavior has been higher-yield than asdding more software.