IDS mailing list archives

Re: ROI on IDS/IPS products

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:11:04 -0700

Webmaster 003 wrote:
I think the easiest way would be to buy a device with a consulting company doing the backend stuff. Then the "user" can stay fat and happy, with a set monthly cost.

In my opinion, and in my experience, this doesn't work. Or, more importantly, it works for people who want to have an IPS/IDS, but don't actually care what it says.

The reason is simple: the "hard work" of an IPS/IDS is putting the alerts in context to your own network.

If you go to a MSSP, they are very good at understanding what "smtp: attempted command buffer overflow" means. However, they have no concept of what it means TO YOU. They don't know if you're patched. They don't know if that server is vulnerable. And they don't know the relative value of that server to you. They also don't have access to the server, so they can't easily check things like patch levels, tripwire logs, etc.

If you consider that operating an IPS/IDS is half knowing network security, and half knowing your network, the problem is that an MSSP only knows half of what they should.

Yes, I'm sure lots of MSSPs will pass this around, outraged at my suggestion that they aren't doing people much good.

But my experience is that most people with MSSP-monitored IDS/IPS only get alerted for the absolute most egregious horrible problems; they do NOT get a continuous security improvement program that will help them avoid such problems.

The IPS/IDS is NOT an intrusion prevention tool; it is a network security visibility and risk management tool. Someone who sticks an IPS at the edge of their network expecting that this will somehow help them from being cracked into is going to be spending a LOT of money for little benefit; they have read waaaay too many white papers by vendors trying to sell IPS and waaaay too little information about what it means to secure a network.

I am fond of saying that an IPS/IDS is a protocol analyzer for the security team, much as a Sniffer or Ethereal box is a protocol analyzer for the network team. If you use it as such to continuously identify and mitigate risks in your network, you'll get value.

If you treat it as a refrigerator, then you don't understand (or, more likely, have been misled) what an IPS/IDS does and where it brings value. If you ONLY want to treat it as a refrigerator, then you're better off doing something else with your dollars.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494