IDS mailing list archives

RE: NSS Certification - Credible?

From: Andrew Plato <andrew.plato () anitian com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:55:34 -0800

It is important to note that tests are laboratory experiments, not the
real world. While I respect the effort and energy it takes to perform a
sound IPS or firewall test, I find myself often disagreeing with them
because they test a fantasy environment, not reality. And there is not
any sound way to test in a real environment.

For example, I find that most testers pay little to no attention to the
usability and on-going maintenance effort of a product. At the end of
the day, how a product is used has a much more profound impact on its
success than the quality of the engine.  The best IPS in the world is
not going to be useful in the hands of a unskilled or irresponsible
administrator.  Likewise, a mediocre or poor IPS can be made quite
useful, if the administrator uses it to its full potential.

Furthermore, I have come to the conclusion that magazine tests are by
and large worthless.  They are all to often influenced by the
advertising in the magazine. I know people say that isn't true. But, I
just don't believe it. And any test that is performed by a single person
is also flawed. The test is entirely dependent upon that person's
obsessions and preferences. And honestly, most magazine tests I have
seen show obvious biases toward certain players.

This is why any company considering an IPS or any complex security
technology should make a short list of products and then talk to other
companies using those products. You can learn a lot more about a product
from collaborating with other users than you can from a certification
report or a magazine review.

As for NSS, its as credible as a lab test can be. I would not use NSS
exclusively as a buying guide. There are some products they have
"certified" that are, IMO, truly awful products. Nevertheless, NSS
certification should be taken as a positive for any short list of
vendors.

Andrew Plato, CISSP, CISM, QSA
President/Principal Consultant
Anitian Enterprise Security