IDS mailing list archives

Re: NSS Certification - Credible?

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremyfb () mac com>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:41:06 -0800

I have to agree. I used to work for a large IPS vendor and had the pleasure of taking my product through NSS testing. Now that I don't work for that employer any more I can honestly say that Bob and his team at NSS were a pain in the ass to work with, in all the right ways.

Specifically:
1. The tests are well designed to make sure that at least *some* products could pass. Each year the bar is raised as the products catch up. For example, at the time it was impossible for any product to catch 100% of client-side threats and process more than 1 Gbps of traffic. It was possible to achieve certification without 100% in this case because otherwise everyone would fail.

2. Yes, vendors could submit one signature content update after the first round of tests. However, that update must be made available to all customers within a respectable time period. In addition, if you read the full report it clearly outlines what the original test results were and those after the update.

3. Vendors may choose particular signature sets for the testing as long as they make that config information available to their customers. Whatever the signature set is, though, the same set is used for coverage testing and performance testing.

So, they (NSS) may make money from the vendors but they also clearly recognized that their value is being unbiased. I think that many vendors would skip NSS testing if they could do so without loss of customers. It is hard to pass.

No general testing house is going to be perfect for all. Every customer should evaluate the products based on their own criteria and not fully trust someone else to do their job for them. However, when it comes to realistic coverage and performance testing. NSS has struck the right balance.

One final word, as the poster pointed out, the certification label may not expire, but I would be wary of a product that does not have a NSS test report for the current version. That usually indicates they either didn't have it tested or had it tested and did not want to release the results.

-J