IDS mailing list archives

Re: Detecting covert data channels?

From: "vijay upadhyaya" <vijay.upadhyaya () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 14:20:57 -0700

Hi Joff,
This is long pending problem for IDS/IPS vendors. Not that the
Solution is not availbale , it all depends on how much performance
compromise u wanna agree upon v/s required  security.

To resolve issues with Encrypted Data, there are IPS who does MIM
while key is being exchange and before sending the packet back to the
trusted machine on the Internal network it decrypts the packet and if
packets seems benign, the packet is encrypted and sent back to Client.
Also for IPSEC VPN , Network architecture might do a trick by keeping
VPN box out side IPS or putting Host based IDS/IPS on the machine u
are protecting.

Also Note that for  Header senitization, IPS vendors are having
protocol decode modules, again here the question is what u want to
choose, Performance or security, Also some of the Applications and way
RFC's are written(May, May nots in RFC), it  becomes difficcult for
IPS vendor to std-ized protocol decode module resulting sometimes in
false positive and lot of tuning .

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Vijay Upadhyaya