IDS mailing list archives

RE: automatic signature generation

From: "Ofer Shezaf" <OferS () Breach com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:10:02 -0400

One problem I see with automated signatures generation is that, if based
on a sample of attack vectors, these signatures would address only those
attack vectors. Strong signatures should address a vulnerability and not
a specific attack vector exploiting it.

On the other hand there are interesting ways to combine learning and
signatures. For example, combining generic signatures (such as
ModSecurity Core Rule Set [1]) and a positive security model derived by
learning (such as suggested by by C. Kruegel and G. Vigna in the their
work "Anomaly Detection of Web-based Attacks" [2]).

Kruegel, Vigna at el describe two such ways to combine anomaly based
positive security and signatures in their work "Using Generalization and
Characterization Techniques in the Anomaly-based Detection of Web
Attacks" [3]:
+ Generating "anomaly signatures"
+ Applying generic signatures of known attack techniques to lower false
positive rate for anomaly based detection.

An additional way to combine is to use learning to reduce false
positives by learning exceptions. A generic rule set such as the Core
Rule Set usually generates a small number of repeating false positives.
For example, some XSS signatures would alert a lot in a form than
enables editing a blog theme that contains HTML. A combined system would
use learning to determine such exceptions to the generic signatures.

~ Ofer Shezaf
ModSecurity Core Rule Set Project Leader
CTO, Breach Security

[1]
http://www.modsecurity.org/projects/rules/index.html

[2]