IDS mailing list archives

Re: Detecting covert data channels?

From: "Richard Bejtlich" <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:04:10 -0400

On 5/25/07, Joff Thyer <jsthyer () gmail com> wrote:
It is reasonably trivial to encode data within packet headers, and
even encrypt said data as most are probably aware.  There are past
examples where control information has been sent within ICMP and other
packets using header fields.

My question surrounds detection; given that IDS tends to be payload
focused, if a covert channel exists that has encrypted data in a
packet header, how do we go about detecting it?

My initial thought leans toward the fact that encrypted data blocks
are statistically flat over time.  Given say 'snort', how can we use
this idea?   I am not a snort expert by any means, so please no
flames!

Joff,

As Ron pointed out, encrypted channels are not the same as covert
channels.  However, if you want to find arbitrary encrypted traffic I
recommend watching the ShmooCon video of

Encrypted Protocol Identification via Statistical Analysis

by Rob King and Rohit Dhamankar

at

http://www.shmoocon.org/2007/videos/

They may be presenting at Black Hat in Las Vegas this summer and might
release their code then.  Tipping Point will undoubtedly incorporate
this feature soon.

If you want to know more about detecting covert channels read papers
written by Steven J. Murdoch:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~sjm217/

Steven's dissertation will be one of the definitive works on this subject.

Sincerely,

Richard

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?