IDS mailing list archives

RE: SNORT Testing

From: "Terry Vernon" <tvernon24 () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 04:07:58 -0600

I've been doing some benchmarking lately on snort packet loss and have found
great success using netstrain to load the line. I'm not looking at attack
detection right now as much as I am squeezing every last drip of performance
out.

What I do is start up 2 or 3 sets of netstrain, watch the system with "top",
then I start snort without -D and let it run for a bit before I ctrl+c it. I
check the dropped packets percentage and modify things trying to get it
smaller and smaller. I keep an eye on top to make sure the system isn't
traffic. It's not an exact method but works for me and is a fun way to kill
time.

I imagine once I'm satisfied or I reach the limit I will more than likely
load the network as before and start sending exploits, various scanning,
etc... That's how I test snort without spending a dime.

-Terry