IDS mailing list archives

Re: SNORT Testing

From: "Aaron Turner" <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:01:14 -0800

On 2/27/06, Byron Sonne <blsonne () rogers com> wrote:
The tools that come to mind for me are 'stick' and 'snot':
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/fulldisclosure/2004-09/0096.html

Unless someone updated stick & snot to actually send both client &
server side of the traffic, it's a bogus test because recent versions
of snort (actually for well over a year now) look for a full TCP three
way setup.

For more info, read the snort faq about stick & snot:
http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html

There's a lot of tools available for performance testing and a lot of
research on methodologies... I suggest you search the list archives
since this topic comes up about once a week.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.