IDS mailing list archives

Re: RE: RE: Tuning false positives - SIM is not the answer

From: brent () solissecurity com
Date: 4 Jan 2006 21:15:05 -0000

Andrew,

I'm with you on the need to tune upstream devices (firewalls, IDS, etc.) but I'd have to say that I _have_ seen a SIM
significantly improve an organization's security.

At one of our customers, their deployment of a CS-MARS 100 has enabled them to quickly see and address issues across a
_lot_ of devices, including firewalls, IDS, routers, VPN appliances, and more.  I wish that I'd had something similar
back when I was responsible for operational security.

Is this space over-hyped?  Probably.  So was IDS.  But I believe that a SIM can help security staff see things that
they may otherwise miss, especially security event data happening across multiple devices at the same time.

2 cents.

Brent Stackhouse, GSEC/GCIH
VP of Security
Solis Security, Inc.
Austin, Texas
www.solissecurity.com

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.