IDS mailing list archives

Re: RE: RE: Tuning false positives - SIM is not the answer

From: brent () solissecurity com
Date: 4 Jan 2006 21:47:03 -0000

Gary,

A couple of points on Cisco CS-MARS 100 that I know from personal experience with it over the last year:

1.  It can process a boatload of data from a lot of devices - very cool.
2.  Reporting needs more flexibility and more speed.  On the flexibility front, if I want to simply grab a device's raw
output for the last 24 hours and that output is of a significant size (more than a thousand rows), I have to resort to
dumping raw logs because queries have pre-defined limits and the reporting engine automatically performs summarization,
which I often don't want.  Both MARS documentation and Cisco TAC confirm this as intentional behavior.  Thus, I can't
generate non-summarized data on a scheduled basis.

On the speed front, it's not super-quick for grabbing anything of decent size, whether querying or reporting.  There
aren't a lot of suggestions in the doc for tuning/maintenance (yes, even in the 4.x doc) or indications via the CLI for
disk space usage, in case the disk is (getting) full.

3.  The MARS OS is a Linux distro but users can't get to the actual OS.  This wouldn't normally be a problem but there
was a bad MARS build that was published recently, yanked within a day or so, and then required a TAC engineer to
remotely login to the MARS box to fix it.  This is contrary to every other Cisco device, including Linux-based 42xx
IDS/IPS, that I've worked with.

Aside from the issues noted above, I think SIMS are great tools for bringing many devices' data together for easier
analysis and can really help the typically-understaffed security personnel in the right environment.

Brent Stackhouse
VP of Security
Solis Security, Inc.
Austin, Texas
www.solissecurity.com

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.