IDS mailing list archives

Re: Tracking back internal incidents to users, not IPs

From: "John H. Sawyer" <jsawyer () ufl edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:22:56 -0500

Hey Charles,

I recently reviewed three products that do what you are looking for.
ConSentry Secure LAN Controller [1], Arbor Network's PeakFlow X [2] and
PacketMotion's PacketSentry [3]. They all work with Active Directory
while that latter two _only_ work with AD. They also vary from being
network control devices that can't prevent access based on policies or
attacks to being in-depth auditing devices. All of them track the
user/IP/MAC so you can attribute network activity to the right users.

Each product has been reviewed by Network Computing [4] and Secure
Enterprise [5] magazines.

[1] http://www.consentry.com/products_slc.html
[2] http://www.arbornetworks.com/products_x.php
[3] http://www.packetmotion.com/products.html
[4] http://www.networkcomputing.com/
[5] http://www.secureenterprisemag.com

-jhs
--
-------------------------------
John H. Sawyer - GCFA GCIH GCFW

Charles Kaplan wrote:
Given the wealth of expertise here, and the combined hundreds of years
of seat of the pants experience dealing with IDS alerts/incidents, I was
curious how most of us were figuring out users to contact VS system IPs.
Given that this is the 'last mile' for many of us, I believe it an ok
topic for this list.

My personal interest is as it relates to internal to internal incidents,
but it has lots of overlap with external to internal and internal to
external incidents as well.

Say for example you detect port scanning originating from an
un-authorized internal system, how do you go about getting a user name?

Note that I am assuming that the source is a DHCP system here (otherwise
it is much easier problem).

I realize there is a lot of industry talk around DHCP, DDNS, user auth
(say Active Directory), NAC and such, but looking at real situations
today I am very interested in how people are solving this problem.

I am often given an internal IP# on my own network and asked to call the
user and ask them why they are doing something strange.  I would ideally
like to use some kind of extended NSlookup to tell me who to call.  And
while I won't be a spokes person for Microsoft any time soon, I think it
safe to assume that I would like to somehow find this info stored within
AD.

And yes, I realize that for the info to get to AD, it must be a
credentialed user, and maybe this is an area to debate, but I am simply
looking for ideas based on how others have solved this, not a 100%
perfect solution.

Thoughts?

Note that I would take an open source or a commercial product as a
viable answer.

Thanks

Charles Kaplan

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.