IDS mailing list archives

Re: Tracking back internal incidents to users, not IPs

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:49:30 -0800

The problem with shutting down the port is that the user is likely to move to another port, and then you have to wait for his machine to start doing Bad Things again, and then shut him down yet again (same concept with source-based remotely-triggered blackhole, or SRTBH), and then when someone else plugs into the shutdown port(s), there's a trouble-ticket generated.

It's certainly better than doing nothing at all, mind - but it's a whack-a-mole type of deal.