IDS mailing list archives

Re: Testing IDS with tcpreplay

From: Bob Walder <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:05:28 +0100

I agree with Aaron - the only way to ensure two test runs are identical for
two different IPS' is to use replay tools. If the traffic is captured
properly (cleanly) and the replay tool is intelligent enough then there is
no way for the IPS to discern that the replayed traffic is different from
the original.

We have numerous tools like Canvas, Metasploit, etc, etc as well as live
exploits, but the first thing we do whenever we get a new tool/exploit is
run it, capture the traffic, verify the effect, and then we use the PCAP
from that point onwards.

There are some things that cannot be captured and replayed - fragroute
evasion traffic, for example, as well as some complex attacks that mess up
the replay tool - and for those we have to run them live whenever we test.

The replay tools keep things accurate and repeatable, ensure the same test
for everyone, and save us huge amounts of time during the run allowing us to
run far more tests in the same test slot.

Bear in mind that many exploits will DOS the server or alter its behaviour
to subsequent exploit attempts - even with Vmware images it is a pain to
keep re-initialising between runs - forget to do that, and a subsequent
exploit could fail and you might take that as a "miss" for the IPS when the
altered traffic stream is no longer detected as malicious.

IMHO, replayed traffic is the most accurate means of testing IPS/IDS
products - but you DO need a source of good, clean, valid PCAPs, and to
create those, a lot of the exploit tools mentioned in threads like this are
invaluable. In other words, you need both!

Bob Walder
The NSS Group