IDS mailing list archives

Prelude/OSSIM/OpenSIMS/OSSEC

From: Pat <securityfocus.20.patgourmet () spamgourmet com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:36:32 -0400

Hi,

Briefly, my question: does anyone here know the best way to implement all of these (Integrity Checks, Servers Monitoring and Remote Logging) in a mixed environment (UNIX/Windows), everything being open-source ?

Details of the question:

I am looking for open-source products to secure our network and servers, which are a mix of Windows/Linux/AIX. I am looknig for some help in deciding what products to implement.

1- I want to begin by implementing an integrity checker. I am looking at Samhain and Osiris. Samhain seems better, but since it does not support Windows, I will probably use Osiris. Maybe OSSEC also would do the job ?

2- I want to run Nagios on my servers for monitoring

3- I want to setup my UNIX and Windows servers with remote logging. For the UNIX/Linux servers, I would do remote syslogging to a syslog server such as Syslog-ng or Rsyslog. For the Windows servers, I would also setup a remote logging to that same syslog server, with a client tool such as Winsyslog.

4- On top of that, I would like to implement a SIMS. I know of 3 open-source SIMS: Prelude, OSSIM and OpenSIMS. Is one better than the other with my mixed environment?

5- Would a Change Management Solution like Radmind on top of all that be compatible worthwile, or it would mainly be redundant ?

So my question again: does anyone here know the best way to implement all of these (Integrity Checks, Servers Monitoring and remote Logging) in a mixed environment (UNIX/Windows), everything being open-source ?

Thank you.

Pat

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?