IDS mailing list archives

IDS Datasets

From: trantichphuoc () yahoo com
Date: 28 Aug 2006 01:38:44 -0000

Hi there,
I am a newbie in this forum. I am more concerned on Auritficial Intelligence (Machine Learning) techniques rather than
the IDS itself. However, I would like to test some machine learning techniques (Neural Networks, ...) in the domain of
IDS, i.e. use AI to analyse some available datasets of intrusions.
I found the IDS data published by MIT & DARPA (http://www.ll.mit.edu/IST/ideval/) which is quite wellknown I suppose. I
have the following questions:
1. This dataset was published since 1999, which is quite long time ago. However, since then, there is no other
"wellknown" dataset of IDS published. I would like to ask if there is some good IDS datasets (ready for AI techniques)
but I am not aware of?
2. What is tcp-dump? What I got from the DARPA dataset was a text file with several lines, each line has several
attributes separated by commas. How an IDS can understand this text file? I am confusing between the AI-ready datasets
(text files that are preprocessed) and the files generated originally from a real IDS.
Thanks
Patrick Tran

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.