IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: "Aaron" <snort () microchp org>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:42:25 -0700

I completely agree. If you are doing anomaly/heuristics based detection then you would need to have a baseline.

Just in my own experience (*points at the bags under the eyes*), I don't really bother with IDS/IPS. Others I work with still do and that is fine, but it is a full time job to chase ghosts. To each their own. :)

I sleep better knowing I audit my stuff and lock things down. It actually kills several birds with one stone (aspca wont like that analogy). I find things that I did not know people installed. I fix sysadmin boo-boo's and can further document what is running where. It also helps me find ahead of time applications that were not coded well and can not withstand a lightweight audit. I can then work with developers to improve their applications and dig deaper into application security. This in my not so humble opinion is a more efficient approach, as it catches weaknesses that network devices can not predict or safely negate without impacting business flow.

But hey, selling network devices means more money changing hands and more jobs so I won't complain. Funny money is still money. :)

--Aaron

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:31:37 +0200