IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: "Alan Shimel" <ashimel () stillsecure com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:15:24 -0400

Andrew

While I can appreciate what you are saying, your own commercial position
makes it difficult to put much weight behind what you are saying.  The sheer
number of people using snort sensors would seem to indicate other than what
you are saying.  Also, the many products that give pure, vanilla snort a
polished commercial feel, are a fine match for many of the products you
mention.  Our own freeware IPS, strata guard free
(http://www.stillsecure.org), which is snort based, is a perfect example of
this.  It probably does as good a job on the false positives as any of the
"commercial" products you mention.

It is a wide market out there!

alan

StillSecure
Alan Shimel
Chief Strategy Officer

O 303.381.3815
C 516.857.7409
F 303.381.3881
email ashimel () stillsecure com
blog http://ashimmy.typepad.com

www.stillsecure.com
to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential material.
Review or other use of this information by persons other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you've received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete
from any computer.