IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: "Andrew Plato" <andrew.plato () anitian com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:53:18 -0700

As I said to Alan: we all sell what we know.

I sell what I know. You sell what you know. Commercial, open source,
closed, open, lost, found, black, white - whatever. Organizations should
pick the best solution for their environment.

That much said, I realize it is pretty much high treason to speak badly
of an open source product on the Internet. I have angered the Gods of
Open Source before. This time is no different.

An unanalyzed IDS/IPS isn't very useful. That is the core problem.
Without analytical capability, the value and effectiveness of any
security product is reduced.

Many organizations have scant IT resources. As such, any technology that
has significant resource requirements is usually passed over for those
that can simplify security while extending the capability of a small IT
staff. Nobody is arguing the technical merits of Snort, but its an
established fact that it tends to be more resource intensive than its
commercial partners. This is true of all open source products. They tend
to be more "raw."

That is why there are COMMERCIAL companies, like yours Eric and like
SourceFire that have made Snort more palatable to enterprises. In this
sense, you are no different than 3com, McAfee, ISS, etc. You're simply
making a technology easier to use.

Eric, you and Alan are no different than me. You're just hawking a
different product. Doesn't matter if the sensor is Snort or Proventia.
You sell what you know, I sell what I know.

Furthermore, the "I can see a signature so its better" argument just
doesn't fly at a lot of businesses. Again, most IT people do not have
the time to analyze and write signatures. Just as companies outsource
their PC manufacturing, phone centers, and Internet connection - they
outsource their security protections. They trust a commercial vendor to
handle this problem. I can't see that the jet fuel Delta puts in a
plane, but I trust Delta to use real jet fuel. So, I can trust Delta
with my life, but I can't trust ISS or McAfee to write a IPS signature?

Yeah. Whatever.

If you feel better seeing the signatures and their content, then by all
means - get thee to a Snort box. But, for many IT groups, this just
isn't a significant selling point. Ease of use, timeliness of new
signatures and reliability are typically more important factors.

Andrew Plato, CISSP
President/Principal Consultant
Anitian Enterprise Security